Entrepreneurs, small business owners, and those either thinking about starting a business or in the early stages of planning and starting up, as well as anyone interested in business planning and management.
- Business planning tips and advice
- Small business technology
- Marketing (social media as well as more traditional methods)
- Business management strategies
- Meeting the challenges of entrepreneurship/starting a business
- Financing a business, finding funding, dealing with investors
- Budgets, taxes, and legal issues involved with starting and running a business
- Current events relevant to small business owners
Bplans.com is visited by over 1 million users a each month, making it one of the most visited small business websites. The Up and Running blog is viewed by close to 40,000 visitors monthly, with visitors typically consuming multiple pages and posts per visit. Blog posts are publicized with premium placement on the Bplans homepage, as well as through bi-monthly newsletters, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, and other social media channels.
Logistics: First, please look over the following guidelines as well as our Editorial Calendar. Then send story ideas or questions related to becoming a guest author to Jay Snider at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Procedures and permissions:
- We set you up as a contributor quickly. That’s a WordPress classification of users. With that, you can edit your author biography and upload your picture, but you still have to send posts to Kai to have them posted. Once posted, you’ll be able to edit and, in extreme cases, delete your own posts.
- If things go well, we then set you up as author, another WordPress user classification. Authors can do everything contributors do and also post directly and publish under their own name.
Standards and Guidelines:
Standards: Please don’t make us draw up specific rules. We assume that you know what’s appropriate when we set you up as a contributor. This is a business blog, for business readers, and we assume you’ll use good common sense and good taste. Respect copyright. We have to hold you responsible for what you publish.
Scheduling: until further notice we want one post every work day, so five posts a week. We ask you to use the scheduling facility built into WordPress as you post, so that we end up with a new post appearing once per day between 9 and 10 a.m. Pacific time. If you have a time-bound post, please email or call so we can manage the queue and move your post up, putting other posts off.
Illustrations: We encourage you to include a small illustration with each post. Ideally it’s 250-300 pixels wide, a JPG file, set about a paragraph down from the top, and aligned to the right. We encourage you to use Flickr creative commons, istockphoto.com, and shutterstock.com photos, in which case we’d like you to identify the copyright holder at the bottom, following this example: