John, from Duct Tape Marketing gives some great advice on his blog on how to get in front of that journalist you are dying to have write a story on your company.
It’s very practical advice, and fairly easy to follow. Stop sending endless press releases and pitching story ideas… and instead follow John’s advice:
- Build a list of journalists that you think might care about your story.
- Read everything they write (use a Google News search by their name and subscribe to the email alert or RSS feed – you can follow a lot of journalists this way.)
- Find their blog and subscribe to, comment on and write relevant trackbacks to it. (Most journalists have one now.)
- Set up a routine of sending relevant content to them that is related to articles they write.
- Don’t push for any stories (unless they are truly news) until you’ve done this for weeks