Just a few of my favorites:
- Real values are defined by who gets rewarded and who gets let go.
- You can separate what must be done well now, and what can be improved later
- You are quick to admit mistakes.
- We’re a team, not a family.
- Compensation should be about external market value, not internal parity.
- In some groups, there may not be enough growth opportunity for everyone.
- Individuals should manage their career paths — not the company.
Still, for the record, this is Netflix, which has been around for years and is fabulously successful. Is this startup culture, or growth culture? Was it like this from the beginning? I’d like to know.