Grab some coffee, kick back, and catch up on the latest about small business.
We’re getting insecure
The rising number of high-profile security breaches has spurred venture firms to invest over $1 billion in cybersecurity startups so far in 2015.
On that note, this week’s breach at Ashley Madison was especially dicey. You would expect a site that encourages users to “have an affair” might protect their info a little better.
Apple’s record profits
Apple announced record profits and a growing cash pile on Tuesday, prompting their stock to slide 8 percent. Investors apparently had even higher expectations for the company.
Keep it in the family
They say kids are an investment, but have you considered hiring your children for the sake of a tax loophole? I’m only partly kidding here.
Health and taxes
Employers and labor unions both seem united against the “Cadillac tax” on high-end health plans, scheduled to take effect in 2018.
Advice from the headlines:
- The eCommerce field gets more crowded every day. Joe Cherrico at Bigcommerce has some great tips on how to stand out in the online marketplace.
- The Harvard Business Review has some great advice on how to prepare an ambitious but realistic budget for your business.
- Customer service can be tricky for a growing startup to manage. CrowdSPRING encourages businesses to follow their data-oriented example.
- Presenting your business plan? The team at Fiverr has five great tips on how to knock a presentation out of the park.
- Raising capital can be one of the most confusing and difficult parts of starting a business. Fortunately Exit Promise published this great guide to make things a little clearer.
- Incorporating your business raises another tricky set of questions when starting a business. In a recent interview, MyCorporation CEO Deborah Sweeney talked through some of those stumbling blocks.
- Have a great idea for a franchise business? Joel Libava and the SBA discuss the pros and cons of franchising.
What do you think about the recent security breaches? Would you hire your children for the tax loophole? Share your opinions in the comments.